Thursday 13 November 2008

An hour on the beach

And not my beach at Armadale for once. I was on my way to Wick to start off the Christmas shopping and took a small detour to stretch my legs on Dunnet beach:

Dunnet beach

It's a really ginormous beach that swings round in a big curve from Castletown to Dunnet. This is Dunnet Head, which is the most northerly point on the mainland:

Dunnet head from the beach

Today, even though it was lunchtime, I had it to myself :o) (There are some benefits to freezing cold weather!). Well, not quite to myself.

A bunch of ringed plovers (and something else, which I haven't identified) were hanging around digging for food:

Spot the plover (1)

There was a solitary curlew doing his best Meryl Streep (French Lieutenant's Woman) impression:

Curlew (1)

A Greater Black-Backed Gull was fishing for some lunch:

Greater black-backed gull fishing (1)

And finding some:

Greater black-backed gull fishing (3)

And I just hung around by the water and practised my panning shots :o)

I have to say, I'm really pleased with these. They might be grainy - I had to push the ISO to get the lens speed up - but I think I'm moving from pictures that record something towards pictures that show something, if that makes sense?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm moving from pictures that record something towards pictures that show something

Wish I'd said that. It sums up so neatly my aim in photography.

Have you achieved it? Well, I'm no judge, but I do look at your blog every day in hope of a new entry.