Sunday 10 August 2008

A chance encounter

One of Mick's brothers has been to visit today, bringing one of his daughters and two of his grandchildren with him. The elder grandchild, Amy, is mad about whales and dolphins and over lunch at the local hotel in Melvich I stupidly said "Next time you're here, we'll have to go down to Strathy Point and see if we can spot any."

Mistake, especially when she found out that Strathy Point was on the way back to the house.

So we drove down to Strathy Point, parked in the carpark and instead of walking all the way up to the end by the lighthouse, went across the field to the cliff edge, with me crossing my fingers all the way there'd be something to look at, because she was so excited about seeing a dolphin.

Luck was on our side - not dolphins (although we saw what was either a pod of dolphins or a school of porpoise way out to see), but a basking shark, circling lazily by the cliffs looking for fish and surrounded by diving gannets. Except we had to tell Amy that it was a baby whale, since she's absolutely terrified of sharks! She was thrilled anyway.

Of course I didn't have my camera with me, so no pictures, but I'm going to go back on a fine day - I've never seen gannets dive before and it's quite spectacular :o)

No comments: